Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A baby quilt....



I just finished sewing my second quilt ever! My first quilt was for my little niece Violet and you can see photos of that one here. Once again, if you are a sewing-type-person please don't look too closely, my quilts have both been very basic and about as technically imperfect as you can get. Nevertheless I am so ridiculously happy with the results!! :) This is obviously for our new baby boy. I ordered the fabric with the idea of making fitted sheets but when it arrived I had the sudden urge to turn it into a quilt. Both the top and bottom fabric are organic cotton from Birch Fabrics, the Elk print is from the Elk Grove Collection and is called Elk Family in Sun and the wood pattern is from the Camp Modern Collection and is the Faux Bois in Mineral. The batting inside is 100% natural unbleached cotton. These photos were taken when the the room was drenched in full sun so the colours actually look a bit more muted in real life. I made the bias tape binding myself using scraps of a few mismatched fabrics I had in my stash. I was originally going to use a plain cream store-bought bias tape but I'm really happy I went with the colourful option. I think it gives the quilt a bit more character. I made it pretty big so that once the crib is converted to a toddler bed it'll drape over the sides a bit. Hopefully it will get many years of love and snuggles!


No comments:

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com